There are many ways to cruise. When you are in your twenties and strapped for cash, a Carnival cruise might do. As you get older and begin to have a bit more refinement and a bank account that is flush, you begin to discover the sheer pleasure of being pampered by the smaller cruise lines.
You see on the larger cruises, the staff can be overworked. They are still gracious but they can not dedicate a lot of time per customer. On the smaller cruise ships there is a much better ratio of staff to guests. This means that the pampering is taken to the next level.
So what can you expect on these smaller cruises:
- More often than not, these cruises are all inclusive. This means even some of you higher end wines and liquor are part of the package. In many cases, even the gratuity is included in the package.
- The staterooms are often bigger and more comfortable.
- There are more crew dedicated to making sure that you are well taken care of.
- The food is better.
- The ports that you will be brought to are more diverse.
- The tours that you can add are often a lot more upscale.
- Often there is a theme to these types of cruises. It may be culinary or wine based or centered around a shared interest.
- You can actually get to know many of the passengers that you are traveling with.
- There are less children on these types of cruises. So if you are in the mood for a romantic vacation, you will not be disturbed by the sound of screaming children.
- They are typically a lot more relaxing, as you are not hurrying to make sure that you can find seats in a theater or your place in line for some event.
- They tend to be more elegant, with couples actually dressing up for formal nights.
So what are some of the most luxurious cruise lines?